That Little Foot…

Well. We are still in the hospital. But we are planning to head home today!

Baby J was a little trooper. He was underwhelmed at getting up at 4:30 to head to the hospital, and he got super nervous when we got to the hospital, and was worried about getting a new cast.

Then he saw the playroom in the OR area, and forgot his nervousness.

He fell asleep on me right before they came back to get him, so I carried him back sleeping, and they put the mask on him to put him under, and I laid him on the bed and off he went.

Instead of taking thirty minutes, his surgery took over two hours…

They cut his achilles tendon like the diagram below, and they cut the tendon that goes to his big toe. They also cut away the scar tissue around his joint where they found that his joint was frozen. Then they worked on the joint to release the bone there.

We met him in recovery, and after he woke up he was starving.

We got moved to the surgical care unit for the night so they could keep an eye on the swelling in his leg. He has slept well, and has been annoyed by the IV in his hand because the band that holds the cords to his hand keep slipping off, but he has been happy and still managed to enjoy himself.

He got some gifts from grandparents and his uncle and auntie, and that made his night… thanks, family! He was beyond excited to get presents!

One of the nurses gave him a stethoscope, and he has listened to everyone’s heart non-stop.

The cast they put on after surgery had to be sliced to allow for swelling, and we are just waiting for them to come put a fiberglass wrap on it to make it stronger, and take out his IV, then we can get the paperwork started to go home.

I am bummed that they ended up having to do such extensive work on his foot, but I am glad they were able to do it all at once.
I am sad for baby J, because since the work done was so extensive, he will need to have this cast on for six weeks, and he will have to keep off it. He has not been kept down with his other casts. He has been waking and running and jumping, but there will be none of that for the next six weeks! Sad for my little guy who wants to be down running around!
After six weeks, they will take this cast off, and he will be in another cast for about four weeks, then it’s on to bracing…

But first, we just need to get our little guy home!


  1. Elizabeth Dahl on July 12, 2013 at 2:50 pm

    What a little trooper!! He's just so darn cute no matter where he is. I'm sorry to hear that the surgery and recovery are so much more extensive than expected, but glad they were able to see everything that needed to be fixed and take care of it at one time.

  2. Musings from Kim K. on July 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm

    Prayers continue for your whole family. It's been quite the ordeal. Praise GOD he can get all the love and medical attention he deserves. He's so resilient and such a trooper. Extra hugs!

  3. Paula on July 12, 2013 at 7:24 pm

    He is SUCH a gem!!! Hang in there! There IS a light at the end of this tunnel!!! I am amazed by his resilience….to think where he was just a few short months ago. So, so glad he's with his forever family! We're all counting down with you to the days that he'll be cast free!

  4. dawn on July 13, 2013 at 11:23 am

    OH my gosh, So sorry it wasn't as simple as it could/should hae been.So glad it is behind you. Hah…this won't keep him down the kids is like Superman!

Leave a Comment